Sunday, 13 May 2012

Evaluation Question: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

When we were first handed our Bloggies, our first task was to create a preliminary task, a way of finding out how to use the camera and giving us a slight idea of what our filming would be like when it came to the actual making of our proper film. In doing this preliminary, I felt that I learnt some useful techniques but the filming was extremely basic and not very well thought out, and so because of this, there is a lot of different techniques and tasks which I believe I have developed and progressed with during the process of the making of our final product. Time management This was a very basic skill that I have learnt to deal with during the process, and I feel that, although we were fairly organised in arranging the dates for filming, I would try and get the filming done as quick as possible, leaving us with a longer time period in which to analyse and develop our filming further. Sound Through this process I have learnt hugely about the importance of diagetic and non-diagetic, and the relevance of each in terms of tension building in our film, when they need to be fitted into the footage, and the level of noise needed when acting out the footage. Although I feel that the dialogue in our film is arguably the weakest area, I feel that if we were to do it a second time around I would now know that we would need to be clearer and more vocal in the actors performances. Mise en scene During our preliminary,the use of the props and the clothing of the actors played no real part in our film and we made no special plans for what we needed to use/wear, partly because we felt no real attention was needed for the clothing. However, it's safe to say we were most definitely wrong! During this process, it has become clear just how relevant the characters clothing and props are to the filming, for example, Bens clothing is that of a typical teenage male, allowing our target audience to become fond of the character and see him as someone they can relate to, therefore enticing the audience further. Before this process I would have had no clue what I just said there, bur through developing our footage and planning ways to attract our targeted audience, it became clear how mise en scene is very important as a way of portaying a character, attracting an audience, and also highlighted the genre of the film. Editing From our preliminary task, it is quite obvious that was any of our groups first piece of editing, and that the skills we used and had were extremely basic, and mostly ineffective. But from the progression of our editing, I think that it has become clear through the viewing of our final draft, that we have learnt heaps of editing techniques, and ways in which to get the best editing effect needed for out footage. Examples include, the sound edited in, such as the piano background music, which was used as a way of creating suspense and building tension, and also, my favourite piece of footage, the 'time lapse shot' in which we edited an hour long piece of film into a 10 second clip to show progression of time, something that again created suspense and showed a turn in the storyline, something which has been favourably noticed by some viewers. Feedback In the process of our preliminary, we felt no real need to ask for feedback from our peers or sir as we felt we could just 'chuck the clips together' and make a half decent piece of footage. However, during Appleby Street we focused sharp attention on feedback from others as a way of striving for improvement and gaining a better perspective of what we should use or change, and as a result it seemed as though we came out with a much better developed and neat product.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. All assessed. Thanks for getting this sorted so speedily.